2345.75
11.45
30.55
0.29
1042.16
15.34
997
-1.41
05/25/2024 04:56:08 AM

$2.50 Gold Quarter Eagles

  • Price - Low to High
  • Popularity
  • Recently Added
  • Price - Low to High
  • Price - High to Low
  • Weight Ascending
  • Weight Descending

$2.50 Gold Quarter Eagles at BGASC

Pre-1933 US Mint Gold encompasses over a century’s worth of gold coins. These coins are extremely popular amongst collectors and investors for their gold content, designs, and history. Among the smallest options is the 2.50 gold quarter eagle. These coins debuted in 1795 and remained in circulation until 1929. Learn more about these quarter eagles, right here at BGASC.

$2.50 Gold Quarter Eagle History

The name of this coin derives from the fact that its face value is a quarter of an eagle. The US eagle, half eagle, and quarter eagle were mandated under the Coinage Act of 1792, which also led to the construction of the US Mint.

These quarter eagles were in circulation from 1795 to 1929 but had periods of stoppage in between such as 1809-1820, and 1916-1924.

Six branches of the US Mint struck these coins throughout its history – Philadelphia, Charlotte, New Orleans, Dahlonega, San Francisco, and Denver.

Furthermore, coins struck from 1837 to 1929 were made up of 90% gold content, while the other 10% was made up of a copper and silver mix.

The Liberty and Indian designs are the most well-known designs featured on the quarter eagles. However, there were a handful of other prominent designs before these two, such as the following:

  • Turban Head: Used from 1796 to 1807. This design by Robert Scot featured Liberty on the obverse wearing a Phrygian cap that looked like a turban.
  • Capped Bust: Issued from 1808 to 1834. This image shows Liberty in left-profile relief, wearing different variations of a cap. Multiple slight variations were issued during its release window.
  • Classic Head: Struck from 1834 to 1838. This design saw the cap on Liberty being removed, thus showing more of her flowing hair. This design was created by William Kneass.

Liberty Quarter Eagle

The Liberty Quarter Eagle was designed by Christian Gobrecht and used for nearly 70 years. This makes it the longest-running design on the quarter eagle. Notably, the motto “In God We Trust” was never used on the reverse of these quarter eagles.

The obverse of these coins shows Liberty wearing a coronet crown with “Liberty” inscribed on it. 13 stars frame the overall design. The reverse of these coins features a modified Great Seal of the United States. The eagle is seen with a shield on its chest and clutching an olive branch and three arrows in its talons.

Indian Quarter Eagle

A change in design came when President Theodore Roosevelt wanted to redesign the look of American coinage. He enlisted the help of his friend, Augustus Saint-Gaudens to do so. However, he only finished the designs for the eagle and the double eagle before his unfortunate passing.

The design for the new quarter eagle fell on the shoulders of Bela Lyon Pratt. The Indian Quarter Eagle was issued from 1908 to 1929, with a break from 1916 to 1924.

The obverse of these coins displays the left-profile portrait of a Native American male wearing a headdress as 13 stars surround him. The reverse showcases an eagle perched on a bundle of arrows.

Certified Quarter Eagles

Collectors and investors alike typically purchase certified quarter eagles. Coins are encapsulated in protective plastic slabs and are graded on a 1-70 scale. Due to the age of these coins, it’s common for them to be graded in the mid to lower 60s.

Buying $2.50 Gold Quarter Eagles at BGASC

Questions about these $2.50 gold quarter eagles? Contact the BGASC team today at 888-992-4272. We’re also readily available via email or through our online chat feature.