2344.58
34.97
29.75
0.66
975.59
15.25
928.5
12.15
06/16/2024 08:09:08 AM

90% Silver Quarters & Junk Silver

  • Price - Low to High
  • Popularity
  • Recently Added
  • Price - Low to High
  • Price - High to Low
  • Weight Ascending
  • Weight Descending

90% Silver Quarters at BGASC

The US Quarter is the oldest denomination from the US Mint. The Wright Quarter was struck in 1792 with only two versions of the specimen known to have existed. However, these coins were struck in copper. Circulation quarters didn’t become available until 1796. Learn about the history of the US Quarter, and in particular, the 90% Silver Quarter, right here at BGASC.

89.2% Silver Quarters

Similar to 90% Dimes, both the Draped Bust and Capped Bust designs had a silver content of 89.2%. The remaining 10.8% is made of copper to help with durability. This lasted from 1796 until 1838 with the introduction of the Seated Liberty Quarter. From this point in history until 1964 every US Quarter had a silver content of 90%.

Seated Liberty Quarter

The Capped Bust design ran until 1838 and was replaced by Christian Gobrecht’s Seated Liberty design. This design was used from 1838 to 1891. Outside of the modern-day Washington Quarter, this design is the longest-tenured design in a US Quarter.

  • Obverse: Lady Liberty is sitting on a rock. In her left hand, she’s seen holding a staff that is topped with a Phrygian cap, in her right hand she’s seen holding a shield that bears the inscription “Liberty.” 13 stars are seen above Liberty’s head while the year of issue is at the bottom.
  • Reverse: A heraldic eagle is displayed, about to take flight. The eagle is seen clutching a bundle of arrows and an olive branch in its talons. In 1866 the inscription “In God We Trust” was added.

Barber Coinage Quarter

Named after Charles E. Barber, Barber Coinage applies to dimes, quarters, and half-dollars that were released from 1892 to 1916. While they all shared the same obverse, only the dime had a unique reverse. Coins that were struck at the Philadelphia Mint had no mint mark, however, the Denver (D), New Orleans (O), and the San Francisco (S) Mint would display their respective mint marks below the eagle on the reverse.

  • Obverse: A Greco-Roman right-profile image of Lady Liberty is seen on the obverse. Liberty is seen wearing a Phrygian cap and a laurel wreath that reads “Liberty.” Liberty is surrounded by 13 stars as the inscription “In God We Trust” is seen at the top with the year of issue being displayed on the bottom.
  • Reverse: A heraldic eagle is shown with a shield on its chest. The eagle is seen clutching a bundle of arrows and an olive branch in its talons. Identifying marks of the coin surround the overall image.

Standing Liberty Quarter

The Standing Liberty design is the shortest-lived of any US Quarter design. This design, created by Hermon Atkins MacNeil, was used from 1916 to 1930 and featured many variations over the years.

  • Obverse: Lady Liberty can be seen standing in between a gap in the wall. She’s seen looking to the east as she holds a shield in her left hand. “Liberty” is seen at the top while “In God We Trust” is seen in the middle, with the year of issue at the bottom.
  • Reverse: A bald eagle in flight is displayed on the reverse of the Standing Liberty Quarter. The eagle is seen flying in right-profile relief. 13 stars can be seen along with inscriptions “Quarter Dollar,” “United States of America,” and “E Pluribus Unum.”

Originally, the obverse design showed one of Liberty’s breasts. That design lasted for a year before a chest plate of arms was put on Liberty’s frame.

Washington Quarter

Still used today, the Washington design by John Flanagan is the longest-used design on the US Quarter. The design was used in 1930, and then every year since 1932. President Washington was chosen to be featured in honor of the 200th anniversary of his birthday. While the Washington Quarter is still used, coins with an issuing date from 1932 to 1964 contain 90% silver.

  • Obverse: Left-profile portrait of George Washington. A year of issue is seen along with the inscriptions “Liberty,” and “In God We Trust.”
  • Reverse: A heraldic eagle is on the reverse of 90% Washington Quarters. The eagle is perched on a sheaf of arrows. Inscriptions read “Quarter Dollar,” “United States of America,” and “E Pluribus Unum.”

Investing in 90% Silver Quarters at BGASC

Contact the BGASC customer service team today at 888-992-4272 with any questions you may have. Our team can also be reached via email or through our online chat feature as well.