Mississippi Sales Tax on Gold & Silver Bullion / Coins
The State of Mississippi requires BGASC to collect use taxes on certain products sold by BGASC and delivered to a Mississippi address.
These taxes must be collected on (1) any bullion that is in the form of a bar, ingot or round that is made of copper; (2) any coins that are not, or previously were not used solely as a medium of exchange in the United States or any foreign country; (3) any coins that may have been or are currently used as a medium of exchange but are sold based on its value as a medium of exchange rather than its intrinsic value; (4) accessory items; and (5) processed items. All other products sold by BGASC are exempt from these taxes.
The following definitions apply to products on which taxes must be collected in Mississippi:
- Bullion. Precious metal that is valued solely upon its precious metal content, whether in coin, round, or bar form.
- Coin. A small, flat, round piece of metal which is, or has been used as legal tender, with a number showing its value and often a decorative picture.
- Medium of Exchange. Coins or currency that are acceptable as a measure of value and a standard of exchange for goods and services.
- Accessory Items. Items such as holders, tubes, coin flips, and apparel.
- Processed Items. Precious metals that have been processed by third parties into items that are valued on more than their precious metal content, such as statues or colorized coins.
Use taxes in Mississippi are calculated at checkout on the BGASC website based on (1) the taxability of products sold by BGASC in Mississippi set forth above, and (2) the specific tax rates established by the taxing jurisdiction of the delivery address in Mississippi.
BGASC began collecting use taxes in Mississippi on October 18, 2022. Prior to July 1, 2023, the State of Mississippi required BGASC to collect use taxes on all products sold by BGASC and delivered to a Mississippi address. Our sales tax license number in Mississippi is 1381-2831.
If you are a Mississippi-based reseller and wish to file a Reseller Certificate with BGASC, please download the Mississippi Reseller Certificate form here. Once you have filled out this form, either email it to customerservice@BGASC.com; or mail it to Buy Gold and Silver Corp, 6125 Luther Lane #474, Dallas, TX 75225. Once we receive your completed Reseller Certificate, we will enter it into our system, and you will not be charged use taxes on future orders as long as your Reseller Certificate remains valid and in force.
Please note: The above is not a comprehensive description of sales tax laws and requirements in the State of Mississippi. It is only intended to provide the reader with a brief overview of those sales tax laws and requirements currently in effect in the State of Mississippi that relate to the reader’s transactions with BGASC. If you would like to research the sales tax laws and requirements in the State of Mississippi, we suggest you visit the Mississippi Department of Revenue located at http://www.dor.ms.gov/Pages/default.aspx.