West Virginia Sales Tax on Gold & Silver Bullion / Coins
The State of West Virginia requires the collection of sales taxes on certain products sold by BGASC and delivered to a West Virginia address. These taxes must be collected on (1) copper products, unless such copper product is a numismatic coin or otherwise a form of money or legal tender that has a fair market value greater than its nominal face value; (2) any product that has not been put through a process of smelting or refining; (3) any product that has been put through a process of smelting or refining, but which is in a state that its value depends on its form rather than its content; (4) any coins that are not used as money or legal tender and are not numismatic coins; (5) any coins that are used as money or legal tender, but have a fair market value that is not greater than the nominal face value of such coins; ; (6) accessory items; and (7) processed items. All other products sold by BGASC are exempt from these taxes.
The following definitions apply to products on which taxes must be collected in West Virginia:
- Legal Tender. Coins that must be accepted if offered in payment of a debt.
- Numismatic Coins. Coins which have an external value above and beyond the base value of the underlying precious metal, due to the item’s rarity, condition, age, or other external factor.
- Coin. A small, flat, round piece of metal which is, or has been used as legal tender, with a number showing its value and often a decorative picture.
- Accessory Items. Items such as holders, tubes, coin flips, and apparel.
- Processed Items. Precious metals that have been processed by third parties into items that are valued on more than their precious metal content, such as statues or colorized coins.
Sales taxes in West Virginia are calculated at checkout on the BGASC website based on (1) the taxability of products sold by BGASC in West Virginia set forth above, and (2) the specific tax rates established by the taxing jurisdiction of the delivery address in West Virginia. Our sales tax license number in West Virginia is 2362-8976.
If you are a West Virginia-based reseller and wish to file a Reseller Certificate with BGASC, please download the West Virginia Reseller Certificate form here. Once you have filled out this form, either email it to customerservice@BGASC.com; or mail it to Buy Gold and Silver Corp, 6125 Luther Lane #474, Dallas, TX 75225. Once we receive your completed Reseller Certificate, we will enter it into our system, and you will not be charged sales taxes on future orders as long as your Reseller Certificate remains valid and in force.
Please note: The above is not a comprehensive description of sales tax laws and requirements in the State of West Virginia. It is only intended to provide the reader with a brief overview of those sales tax laws and requirements currently in effect in the State of West Virginia that relate to the reader’s transactions with BGASC. If you would like to research the sales tax laws and requirements in the State of West Virginia, we suggest you visit the West Virginia Department of Revenue located at https://revenue.wv.gov/Pages/default.aspx.