BGASC is one of the world's most trusted suppliers of gold and silver currency, including junk silver coins. Junk silver is popular with coin collectors and a popular starting place for anyone looking to delve into building a valuable and historical collection.
What Is Junk Silver?
"Junk silver" is a term that refers to silver coins that are worth the value of their silver content. Despite this informal nickname for 90% silver U.S. coins, the term has nothing to do with the condition of the currency, and they are certainly not junk! Junk silver coins come in all varieties, circulated and uncirculated. They're still considered currency in the United States and can be used at face value -- or they can be collected and sold for their silver value, which fluctuates according to the spot price.
What Coins Are Considered Junk Silver?
The most common 90% silver coins are:
- Barber Dimes, Quarters, and Half Dollars, also known as Liberty Head dimes, quarters, and half dollars, were minted from 1892 to 1916. They have the Goddess Liberty wearing a Phrygian cap, a laurel wreath, and a headband with the word LIBERTY written on it.
- Mercury Dimes, also known as Winged Liberty Head dimes, were minted from 1916 to 1945. Mercury was the Roman messenger god often depicted with a winged cap however these coins show the goddess Liberty wearing a winged cap.
- Roosevelt Dimes. You'll recognize these because they're the design still used today. However, from 1946 to 1964, they were minted as 90% silver dimes.
- Standing Liberty quarter. This quarter has the goddess Liberty standing on one side and a flying eagle on the other. From 1916 to 1930, it was 90% silver.
- Washington quarter. This coin was minted in 1932 (and again from 1934 to 1964) in honor of the 200-year anniversary of President George Washington's birth. (It's the present-day quarter, but before 1965 these coins were 90% silver quarters.)
- Walking Liberty half dollar. This coin, minted from 1916 to 1947, depicts Lady Liberty walking toward the sun. It was part of an effort to make more beautiful coinage, and it truly is a stunning design.
- Franklin half dollar. This coin has Benjamin Franklin on one side, with the Liberty Bell on the other with a small eagle beside it. Franklin 90% silver half dollars were minted from 1948 to 1963 and are now valuable to collectors, especially editions from certain mints.
- Kennedy half dollar. As the name suggests, this coin memorializes President John F. Kennedy. The 1964 version is 90% silver. It never circulated much, in part because collectors held onto it.
- Morgan dollar. This dollar silver piece was minted from 1878 to 1904 and again in 1921. Morgan 90% silver dollars depict Lady Liberty on one side and an eagle on the other.
- Peace dollar. This coin was minted from 1921 to 1928 and 1934 to 1935 in 90% silver. It has the Goddess Liberty -- based on the designer's Italian wife -- wearing a sun crown. Originally the reverse side had an eagle with a broken sword, but the broken sword was removed prior to circulation due to the public's perception that it symbolized defeat.
Start Your Collection Today
BGASC offers junk silver coins in small quantities as well as in bulk. With fast shipping and a Better Business Bureau A+ Rating, you can rest assured that your coins will arrive quickly and in the condition listed. Since BGASC has a huge inventory of collectable gold and silver, you're also sure to find what you're looking for.