2408
1.30
29.19
-0.17
960.41
-11.73
940.87
3.58
07/22/2024 09:41:09 AM

$10 Gold Eagle

  • Price - Low to High
  • Popularity
  • Recently Added
  • Price - Low to High
  • Price - High to Low
  • Weight Ascending
  • Weight Descending
  • Pre-33 $10 Liberty Gold Eagle Coin (Cleaned)
    As Low As:
    In Stock
  • Pre-33 $10 Liberty Eagle Gold Coin BU
    As Low As:
    In Stock
  • 1901 $10 Liberty Gold Eagle Coin PCGS MS63
    As Low As:
    In Stock
  • $10 Gold Eagles at BGASC

    $10 Gold Eagles were introduced shortly after the inception of the US Mint in the late 1700s. These coins have proven to be ultra-popular due to their history, purity, and iconic designs that collectors and investors love. Learn more about these $10 Gold Eagles right here, at BGASC.

    Background on $10 Gold Eagles

    Eagle Coins were introduced in 1795 and were in circulation until 1933. These coins were mandated via the Coinage Act of 1792. This coin was the largest main base unit of denomination. For example, these coins had a face value of $10 (USD), coins with a face value of $20 (USD) were called Double Eagles, whereas coins with a face value of $5 (USD) were called Half Eagles.

    Liberty $10 Gold Eagles

    The first popular design used on the $10 Gold Eagle is the Liberty Gold Eagle. These coins were issued from 1838 to 1907 and were designed by Christian Gobrecht, the third Chief Engraver of the US Mint.

    The Coinage Act of 1837 mandated all gold coinage to contain 90% of actual gold content. Thus, this is the first design which is held to this standard. These gold coins contain 90% gold content with the other 10% being made up of a silver and copper alloy mixture.

    • Obverse: Lady Liberty in left-profile relief wearing a coronet crown. “Liberty” is displayed on the crown and her hair is put in a bun. 13 stars, representing the original 13 colonies, encircle the portrait.
    • Reverse: A heraldic eagle is on the reverse. This eagle is similar to the Great Seal of the United States. The eagle is in front-facing relief with a shield on its chest. The eagle is holding an olive branch in one talon and a bundle of arrows in the other. In 1866, the motto “In God We Trust” was added to the reverse.

    Indian $10 Gold Eagles

    Following the success of the Liberty Gold Eagle, was the Indian Gold Eagle which was used from 1907 to 1933. In 1904, President Theodore Roosevelt wanted newer coin designs. Roosevelt reached out to Augustus Saint-Gaudens for help. While Saint Gaudens ultimately passed away in 1904, he did manage to finish the designs for both these Indian Gold Eagles, and the Double Eagle.

    • Obverse: Left-profile relief portrait of Lady Liberty wearing an Indian headdress. 13 stars, representing the 13 original colonies are displayed above Liberty.
    • Reverse: An eagle standing on a sheaf of arrows. Identifying marks of the coin surrounds the central design. In 1908, the motto “In God We Trust” was added to the left of the eagle.

    Other $10 Gold Eagles

    • Turban Head – The first design on the $10 Gold Eagle was used from 1795 to 1804. The obverse shows a right-profile relief portrait of Lady Liberty wearing a Phrygian cap with her hair wrapped around it. This visual makes it look like Liberty is wearing a turban.
    • Commemorative $10 Gold Eagles – Gold coinage was halted in 1933. However, the US Mint has issued several commemorative eagle coins throughout the years since then. These commemorative eagle coins are issued to celebrate anniversaries, events, or occasions. For example, a special eagle coin was issued in 2000 to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Library of Congress.

    Purchasing $10 Gold Eagles at BGASC

    For any questions about the $10 Gold Eagles, contact the BGASC team today at 888-992-4272. Our team can also be easily reached via email or through our online chat feature.